Todi's  country

 Real Estate 

 

 

Barattano Castle  

Barattano was erected in the 13th century with the name of Villa Sant’Angelo in Piscina; it earned its later name “for the quality of the fraudulent people who lived there. Encircled by imposing walls (dating from 1452) with a central keep and tall defense towers, it is a good example of compact military architecture built for purely defensive purposes, derived from the Roman castrum. In 1261 a certain Filippo di Barattano was the commander of the local militia of Todi, under the podesta Filippo degli Ugoni of Brescia. In the mid-1300s the castle passed under the jurisdiction of the Trinci family. In 1540 the castle sent a worker to Perugia for the construction of the Rocca Paolina. For centuries the castle remained under the influence of Todi: in 1802 it was added to Gualdo Cattaneo, in 1815 to San Terenziano, and then in 1861 again to Gualdo Cattaneo. Fallen into somewhat poor conditions, it remains fascinating for its structural morphology,characterized by a broad circle of walls with a medieval gate, narrow streets and high towers, some of which show the remains of coverings added. There is a church inside, San Bartolomeo (13th cent.), with frescoes from the 16th and 17th centuries, and two 16th-century wooden angels.

 

 

Castello di Barattano 

Fu eretto nel XIII sec. con il nome di Villa S. Angelo in Piscina; assunse più tardi quello attuale”per la qualità delle genti fraudolose che vi abitavano”. Cinto da mura possenti(datano 1452)con cassero centrale e alte torri a difesa, alcune sopraelevate, rappresenta un valido esempio di architettura militare compatta votata a finalità puramente difensive, derivata dai  castrum romani . Nel 1261 era capitano del popolo a Todi tale Filippo di Barattano durante la podestaria di Filippo degli Ugoni da Brescia. A partire dalla seconda metà del 300 il castello passò sotto la giurisdizione dei Trinci. Nel 1540 il castello inviò a Perugia un operaio per la costruzione della Rocca Paolina. Il castello è rimasto per secoli sotto l’influenza di Todi: nel 1802 fu unito a Gualdo Cattaneo, nel 1815 a S. Terenziano, e poi nel 1861 di nuovo a Gualdo Cattaneo.Ridotto in discrete condizioni, si presenta affascinante per la morfologia strutturale caratterizzata da un’ampia cinta muraria con porta d’ingresso medievale, vicoli caratteristici e alti torrioni alcuni dei quali presentano resti di interventi di copertura. Nel suo interno si trova la chiesa di S. Bartolomeo (sec XIII)con affreschi del XVI e del XVII sec, e due angeli lignei cinquecenteschi.

 

Buy in Italy

Contact us

Mortgages

website-map 

Links

Privacy

Acquistare

Contatto

 

mappa del sito

Siti amici

Privacy

Pagina principale ©2006 Todi's country Welcomepage